I am a communications professional with more than 10 years of experience writing for a wide variety of audiences. I have experience covering labor and employment news in Washington, D.C. and managing and editing weekly and monthly publications.
December 2013 – Present
- Assisted media design and development firm launch new business through various marketing efforts.
- Increased sales, writing and editing marketing brochures.
- Exceeded industry-standard hit rate writing proposals.
Economics Editor/Labor and Employment Reporter
Daily Labor Report, Bloomberg BNA, Arlington, VA
September 2008 – December 2013
- Wrote about International Brotherhood of Teamsters, International Association of Machinists, United Food and Commercial Workers, and other large union collective bargaining agreements.
- Covered sick leave policies, green jobs, and the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Economic coverage included unemployment and indicators such as the Consumer Price Index and Gross Domestic Product.
- Edited and managed the editorial content and production of Labor Relations Week, a weekly publication.
Loudoun Business/Leesburg Today, Lansdowne, VA
August 2007 – September 2008
- Provided in-depth coverage of Loudoun County businesses.
- Wrote about commercial real estate, new businesses, economic trends, and market analysis.
- Created themes and overall vision of monthly publication.
- Assigned and edited other staff writers’ stories.
Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc., Herndon, VA
April 2005 – August 2007
- Responded to requests for proposals to municipalities in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- Wrote and edited technical documents.
- Produced newsletter articles.
- Coordinated with graphic designers/desktop publishers/other marketing coordinators to produce quality/winning proposals.
The Saratogian, Saratoga Springs, NY
2004 – 2005
- Covered Saratoga Springs City Council, Planning and Zoning boards, and the Saratoga Springs Police Department.
- Wrote general assignment and feature stories on city politics.
The College of William and Mary – The Mason School of Business, MBA, 2008
State University of New York at New Paltz, Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, English, 2003
Georgetown University Certificate, Institute on Political Journalism, 2002
Affiliations and Professional Organizations
Virginia Press Association
Society for Marketing Professional Services
Center for Business Journalism: Investigative Business Journalism Workshop
Urban Land Institute – Real Estate Trends Conference
Society for Marketing Professional Services – Regional Conference
Randolph Macon College: Community Journalism Workshop